Mindfulness Based Movement for Corporations & Wellness Centers
Seclairer Behavioral Health
341 Story Road in Export PA
Starting June 5, Ongoing Thursdays 1:30-2:30pm
$15 walk-in (open to the public)
Reboot is a 60-minute onsite class that blends the best of yoga, qi-gong, movement therapy, dance, breathing techniques, and meditation into one powerful experience. With a masters in Dance/Movement Therapy, Greta has unique insight into the psychology of movement and its power to change the state of both the body and mind. The Reboot class puts a keen focus on exercises that reduce stress, increase happiness, and mental sharpness. These exercises are specifically chosen because of how simple, powerful and fun they are, and because they can be done by people of all fitness levels. This class is low-impact (does not stress the joints) and focuses on breathing, gentle stretching, range of motion, moderate cardiovascular, simple dance movements, and tension release. This class was developed with desk-workers in mind and focuses on correcting the stress this puts on the body.
Mindfulness is the pulse of this fitness class. Whether we are meditating, holding a posture, or dancing the focus is consistently on having complete attention on the present moment and on the breath.
Yoga involves simple movements and postures that help limber the joints, stretch and strengthen muscles, and improve posture. These yoga excersices are suitable for beginners.
QiGong (pronounced “chi gung”) is a form of gentle exercise involving fluid meditative movements and deep breathing that is calming and energizing.
Therapeutic Dance & Movement includes simple steps that offer a cardiovascular workout, full body tension release, and a sense of playfulness and joy.
Photos from the Lifestyle Medicine Conference: Brain Health And Physical Wellness, May 2014
Why is this a good investment for you?
It is no question that stressed employees are bad for business:
Effect of stress on daily productivity
- 41% lose 15 to 30 minutes of productivity a day
- 36% lose one hour or more each day
- 23% report their productivity is not affected by stress
Effect of stress on attendance
- 55% miss one or two days a year to stress
- 29% miss three to six days a year
- 16% miss more than six days a year
Effect of stress on effectiveness
- 46% come to work one to four days per year when too stressed to be effective
- 30% show up that way five or more days per year
- 24% say stress does not influence their effectiveness
Effect of personal tasks on daily productivity
- 41% lose less than 30 minutes a day to personal tasks
- 40% lose 30 minutes a day
- 19% lose more than an hour a day
(ComPsych Stress Pulse survey, October 2012)
How does Reboot help your employees stay happy, effective, healthy, and productive?
The benefits of Exercise:
- Exercise appears to build a brain that resists physical shrinkage and enhance cognitive flexibility.
- Exercise, the latest neuroscience suggests, does more to bolster thinking than thinking does.
- Exercise needn’t be exhausting to be effective for the brain. (New York Times, April 2012)
- Physical activity helps to bump up the production of your brain’s feel-good neurotransmitters, called endorphins
- Regular exercise can increase self-confidence and lower the symptoms associated with mild depression and anxiety
- Exercise improves sleep (Mayo Clinic, September 2012)
The benefits of Dance:
- Cardiovascular dance produces and altered state of consciousness and respite from depression and stress (Health Care for Women International, February 1995)
- The Einstein Aging Study found that dancing was the only physical activity that protected the brain from Alzheimer’s’ compared to team sports, swimming, and bicycling (New England Journal of Medicine, June 2003)
The benefits of Mindfulness Meditation:
- Mindfulness meditation can help ease psychological stresses like anxiety, depression, and pain (JAMA Internal Medicine, January 2014)
- Daily meditation helps you pay closer attention to more detail which may greatly help your productivity at work (PLOS Biology, May 2007)
- Meditation increases productivity, memory, attention, and ability to focus on a task for a longer period of time (CHI ’11 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, 2011)
Businesses can choose from a standing only class, a chair-based (and standing) class (this class is just as effective!), or a mat-based (and standing) class depending on available resources.
Greta lives in downtown Pittsburgh and will travel to locations within 20 minutes of downtown. Email gretapolo [at] gmail.com for rates and to set up a 15 minute demo.